Recipe, photo and styling by Thulisa Martins
30ml (2 tbsp.) flour (cake or bread)
2 red onions, peeled and roughly chopped
45 ml (3 tbsp.) cooking oil, plus extra if needed
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
2 long celery sticks, sliced
45ml (3 tbsp.) Red wine vinegar
410g (1 can) tomatoes & herbs
500ml beef stock (if you like cooking with wine, you can use 250ml red wine and 250ml beef stock)
4 large potatoes, peeled and cut in half
Salt and pepper to taste
Handful cherry tomatoes to serve
1. Pre-heat the oven to 150°C.
2. Lightly coat the oxtail with flour and set aside.
3. Heat a large saucepan over medium heat and sauté the red onion in the olive oil for about 30 seconds. Add the garlic and celery, sauté for another 30 seconds.
4. Add the oxtail and brown, about 2 minutes. remove the meat from the man and transfer onto an oven proof large dish.
5. Add the red wine vinegar to the saucepan and stir for 30 seconds to get all the flavour and juiced off the pan. top this onto the oxtail.
6. Add the tomatoes & herbs, stock and cook for 3 hours in the oven until the meat falls off the bone. In the last 45 minutes, add the potatoes.
7. Serve warm with rice and your favourite vegetables.