This is the kind of bread that does not necessary need much to serve with – it can be enjoyed on its own or as part of a spread with beautiful snacks of your choice. I just love this twist on an African pot bread twist.
Photography by Farayi Kambarami
Recipe & food styling by Thulisa Martins
200ml look warm water
5g instant dry yeast
15ml brown sugar
400g bread flour, sifted
2 ripe avocados
15ml good quality matcha powder
15ml lemon flavoured olive oil or plain olive oil
Pitch of salt
1 tsp crushed garlic
2 tbsp softened butter
fresh thyme, optional
- Dissolve the sugar in the water and sprinkle the yeast over. Place in a warm area and leave until the yeast is frosty.
- Place the flour, salt and frothy yeast in a free standing blender and knead on medium speed using a dough hook (this can also be kneaded using your hands on a lightly floured surface for 10 minutes).
- Rub the dough with 5 ml of the olive oil, place in a large bowl, cover and place in warm place until it’s double the size; about an hour.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Peel, pit and mash the avocado then mix with matcha and the remainder on olive oil.
- Knead the risen bread dough again for a minute and roll into a round shape on a lightly floured surface. Spread with avocado and matcha and sprinkle with crushed garlic, thyme and knobs of butter. Roll the dough into a sausage shape and tuck it in to form a slight spiral shape. Place in a baking pot/ pan. Let the dough rise again until very puffy – about 15 – 20 minutes. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes until baked.