Someone shared this super easy recipe and I am so going to make it this Easter. Now its my opportunity to share it with you.
With our local Avocado season here – I just love the avo recipes that one can make with them.
Corn and buttermilk waffles topped with shaved avocado and avo-cream
For the waffles
- 1 cup self-raising fluor
- 1 cup finely ground cornmeal/polenta
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cups fresh or thawed frozen sweetcorn kernels
- 1 spring onion , diced
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (or olive oil) to brush the waffle iron
For the avo-cream
2 avocados, pitted
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 lime, juice and zest
5-10 splashes sriracha chilli sauce or Tabasco sauce, to taste
For the topping
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and shaved using a veggie peeler
- 1 punnet grape tomatoes, quartered
- poached egg (optional)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, salt and pepper.
- Add the sweetcorn and spring onion to the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the 2 eggs and milk. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix with a spoon until just combined.
- Heat the waffle machine as per the instructions.
- Use a 1/3-cup measure and scoop the corn cake batter into the waffle iron, leaving about an inch between each waffle. Cook until the waffles are golden brown and crispy.
- Remove the corn cakes with a spatula and place on a plate or baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- To make the avo-cream whizz all the ingredients to a smooth cream in a mini food processor or with a stick blender, add a tablespoon of cold water if necessary.
- To assemble the corn cakes, add the avocado shavings and tomatoes over the top. Top each with a poached egg if desired.
- Serve garnished with freshly ground black pepper and micro herbs