If you have not yet thought about your new years cocktail party snacks yes – then hopefully these ideas would come in handy. they are great for any cocktail dinner party.
The Meatball nachos with a mango salsa are always popular. My family loves the BBQ chicken with herb stuffing (as promised the stuffing recipe is published) and the Bisto (tomato and onion relish).
Then for a light dessert nibble, the apricot bites filled with Baobab and honey Greek yoghurt is a hit.
check out the recipes at the end of the post.
Takes about 30 minutes to prep.
Very easy to make
1 avocado, peeled and cut into cubes
6 taco shells
12 cooked meatballs
80ml blue cheese salad dressing
To make the mango salsa:
1 firm mango, peeled and cut into cubes
Half red onion, peeled and roughly chopped
1 hot chilli, seeded and firmly sliced
Small handful rosa tomatoes, roughly chopped
Small handful fresh coriander, chopped
- Warm the taco shells briefly and fill with meat balls.
- Mix all the salsa ingredients together in a small bowl. Fill equal amounts onto the taco.
- Drizzle with Blue cheese salad dressing, add avo and serve.
To make the bisto
This relish was always called Bisto in my neighbourhood. To this day – we still love to make Bisto and serve it warm with a traditional South African sausage – Boerewors.
My Niece Bonie makes the best bisto ever! And she was generous to share her recipe.
1 onion, peeled and chopped
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium sized tomato, chopped
1 tea spoon dried basil
1 Tbsp smoked chilli flakes (not heaped)
2 Tbsp brown sugar (not heaped)
¼ cup water
1 Tbsp creamy mayonnaise
Pinch of salt
- Fry the onion over medium heat in the olive oil until translucent.
- Add the tomatoes, basil, chilli, brown sugar and water. Cook for about 10 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the mayonnaise and season with salt to taste.
- Then to assemble the cocktail dish, carefully place BBQ mini chicken kebabs into a glass together with the stuffing and bisto, repeat with the rest of the glasses. Check out the stuffing recipe below. Garnish with sliced rosa tomatoes. Bisto is enough to make 6 portions.
The Stuffing Recipe:
4 slices of white bread, blitzed into crumbs (use bread that a day or two old preferably)
1 sprig fresh rosemary, leaves removed and chopped
Handful fresh coriander, chopped
20 ml softened butter
Salt and black pepper to season
- Combine all the ingredients with a spoon until well mixed and either use to stuff into meats such as leg of lamb or chicken. I sometime use my hands to press the stuffing to be intact and hold together.
- Or for this recipes. Roll into balls and flatten. Bake in the oven at 180°C for about 10 minutes until firm and slightly golden brown.
- For extra flavour, chopped fresh sage can also be added.
The apricot recipes:
20 fresh firm and ripe apricots, halved and pip removed
2 medium sized white flesh nectarines, pip removed, peeled and finely mashed
2 heaped Tbsp baobab fruit powder
2 Tbsp double plain yoghurt
2 tsp raw honey
Small handful fresh raspberries
2 Tbsp baobab fruit powder
- Flatten the apricots a little to make room filling. I used a back of a spoon to do this.
- Mix together the rest of the ingredients in a small bowl and use a teaspoon to fill the apricot halves.
- Garnish with fresh raspberries and sift over with more Baobab powder.
- I made my Baobab powder by blitzing dried Baobab fruit until a powder.